Saturday, September 22, 2007

Sanity? Is it a relative thing?

Sanity? Is it relative?
I can honestly say that I'm relatively sane. Most of the time. There are other time when I think I have to be completely insane. But when I look at it closely I'm not sure I'd want it any other way. I'm mean, really, if everything was calm and peaceful would we feel as alive? I know I wouldn't. Without all the people around me and in my head trying to get out my life would be very boring, that's not to say I don't want a bit of peace and quiet now and then. I'm getting lots of advice and sympathy from fellow authors about the editing and polishing process and I'm grateful to find I'm not alone in my struggles. One such author was kind enough to offer her experience with the editing process after sale, all I can say is, at least she's sold it. We really are in an interesting industry. I might produce something fantastic that should be published but gets rejected because that editor on that day had something better cross her desk, or I might produce something complete unworthy of paper but get published because it was the shining light of the day. Go figure. A lot of it comes down to luck as much as craft, skill and the three P's. Patience, persistence and perseverance. Of course the middle one should read stubbornness but I like the three P's, they sound good. When I finish the MS I'm working on I had planned for it to be long gone by now but with the move to Singapore, and the adjustment to our new life minus one child, it's been almost twelve months since it was finished. I've changed things and then changed them back again, if I didn't know better I'd think I was on a merry-go-round. Oh no, wait a minute, it was the giant swing and that was over a week ago. LOL
So, after succumbing to a couple of drinks to drown the sorrows we're back to work and hoping for the best. When all is said and done the only thing I can be sure of is that I've given it a go.

Don't regret the things you do, only the ones you don't have the courage to do.

Rachel.C

No comments:

Post a Comment