Saturday, September 29, 2007

Happy endings.

As a romance writer a happy ending is part of the deal and I couldn't have written a better happy ending than this one. I'm in Sydney at the moment visiting my son who is just finishing high school. We had his presentation assembly on Thursday and he made me cry. Not only is he almost 18 and about 5 weeks from his final exam but he managed to keep his grades up while the rest of his family left the country. We knew he had first in year for Biology and English and second in year for Maths but what we didn't know until the assembly was that he was receiving the Academic Excellence Award for excelling in 4 or more of his subjects. He also received the Reuben F Scarf Award For Commitment, this award is voted by the teachers and only goes to one student. I haven't watched the video yet to listen to the speech made about him but his Nani said I better get the tissues ready. It's a bit of a shock to realise that we've produced such a wonderful human being. I'm really not sure how we did it and I'm not sure how to do it again another three times. For the boy who often struggled with school, to watch him do so well because he wants something, (to be a marine biologist), I'm reminded that it's all up to us as individuals to go after what we want. So once I'm back in Singapore it'll be head down and nose back into that MS that's been giving me so much frustration in the last few weeks. For now I'm going to sit back and soak up my very own happy ending.

All birds most leave the nest to build their own, but it doesn't mean they can't come back to visit.

Rachel.C

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel
    Thanks for your lovely comment on my blogspot, all support is greatly appriceated.

    How wonerful for your son to do so well, no wonder you're so proud of him. I hope he continues to do well and achieve all his goals, which I'm sure he will.

    Regrds
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the inspiration! Just like what I said in my blog- the publishing game sometimes boils down to the "last author standing". As long as we don't quit, and keep perfecting our craft, it will happen (ten years later- ha ha). Don't forget to send me something to read...I miss reading your racy passages over coffee first thing in the morning!

    ReplyDelete