Monday, October 15, 2007

Got my bearings and moving forward.

For a while there things were a bit confusing, all turned around and nothing looked familiar. But now after some mad scribbling with pen on paper, things have become a little clearer and I'm not so concerned about being on a road not travelled before. As words and sentences began to take shape and a story unfolded I realised this was something that was going to push me out of my comfort zone in more ways than one. First, it's nothing like I've done before, scary enough by it's self. Second, it's definitely a single title, mmm.... 100,000 words is a lot of letters! And third? Research! Lots of research. In fact I would say I'm going to learn a hell of a lot about the 'conflict' my hero and heroine are going to face. I'm not even sure if it's going to have a happy ending, and that would have to be the biggest scare of all. The other major 'problem' I'm having with it is it seems to hit a little too close to home. Is that going to make it easier or harder to write? Time will tell, I guess. I'm not that comfortable talking about the subject matter yet and probably won't for a while. It's really hard to explain how this story has me all bent out of shape. I've read stories that have made my cry and stories that have made me laugh, I've even read a couple that have done both and it scares the sh** out of me that this is one of those. I'm still not sure I have the skill to pull it off. But I'll never know unless I try and so I go forth into the great blue yonder and read some more of my research. Damn there's a lot of it. I've only just scratched the surface. Back to the tombs. I mean desk. Actually, I think I'll go to bed and start fresh in the morning. With the kids back at school they're out of the house by 7:30 so there'll be plenty of peace and quiet.

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. (Les Brown)

Rachel.C

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! It sounds like you are definitely on a roll! You'll be amazed at how quickly 100,000 words will come about. I know it seems like a monster at first, but that word count will build and you will be there before you know it. I have one word of caution, however. If you are targeting the romance genre, your story HAS to have a happy ending. It may be next to impossible to sell otherwise. You could shoot for mainstream, but I think with any book once the reader is invested in the characters and the story ends on a negative/sad note, it may be difficult to get that reader to take a chance on a second book.

    I had to change the ending to my wip because originally I had the couple seperated for two years after the black moment before they finally come together in the end. Apparently, this would have been a big no-no because it wouldn't sit well with readers. There was too much opportunity for the couple to meet and become involved with someone else. And, God forbid, they would have a chance to be intimate with someone else. Stuff like this makes my head hurt!!

    I can't wait to hear more about this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you've decided to tackle the big emotional story. Like you say, you never know until you try.
    All the best with it!

    ReplyDelete