Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Where have you been?

I bet you all thought I'd gone off the deep end and they'd locked me up. No such luck. I've been busy. Sorting things out ready for the beginning of Nano. Thursday is D Day! I've worked out I need about 1700 words a day to meet the target of 50,000 in 30 days. No problem. Well I'll need to minus a day for a short story workshop I'm doing with Alison Stuart, then there's the seven days we're in Phuket. Oh, and the six days my son and his girlfriend are here. So that makes...... 14 days, okay, 30 minus 14 is 16, 50,000 divided by 16... does anyone have a calculator? Hold on.
Got one. 50,000 divided by 16 = 3,125.
Oh God!
No way!
I'm not gonna winnnnn........
Wait a minute, hyperventilating here.
All right, fine now. I can do this, it's not like I have to go to work, this is work. And there's nothing else I have to do during November. Well, there is the reviews for FAR, plus I've signed up to interview an author, but that's online so I don't need to leave my chair. Plus there's the hand I waved in the air to help with the Passionate Ink newsletter, and it's not like I need any sleep. Or food. Or drink. And if I'm not fed or watered I won't need to go to the bathroom, which means more time in the chair. And nobody wants any Christmas presents this year, do they? No, no, I'm sure they'll be happy to know I've spent the time on my writing and not on them. It's not like I know what to get anyone anyway. So, in November you'll find me with my butt glued to the chair, (is that starting to sound like the one at the end of death row? It sure is starting to feel like it), with my finger busy tapping away and a smile on my face because the words are flowing so freely. And any minute now I'll wake up and find I haven't signed myself up for something I don't have time for. Damn, it sounded so doable (is that a word?) when I signed on. I guess it doesn't matter if I win or not, it's the writing. I just hope it's not one more thing that will have to be locked in the bottom draw.
On to bigger and better things.
I entered Karen Tabke's One Line comp. On a whim. It was posted on the ROMAUS e-group and I had a look and went of what the hell, you only live once. I posted my first line and thought this will be funny, I'm gone in the first cut. Ten lines go, then everyone left adds their second line, another ten go and everyone left adds their third line, you get the picture. So I'm still in after the first line, I have my self a laugh and post a second. Let me just say that these lines are coming off the top of my head. Never been heard from before and each Tuesday I think up the next one. So imagine me sitting here this morning with my mouth hanging open because there's my lines. Waiting for the third to join them! Okay, now what? I don't have a story. I don't even have an idea! So I sat on it for about three hours then added the next. Still have no idea where we're going or what we're doing. The more I look at the lines the more I realise they could actually be going anywhere. And I chose to do this now! Did some say insane? I'm sure I've heard that before somewhere. Oh well, just keep plodding along. What else can I do? I'm not going to pull out of anything, I might fail at some things but I don't quit them. So I'm getting ready to have an intense couple of weeks and I'm not sure I'll be around much but I'll get the Hubby to post if it all gets too much and I just head down to the pool with a drink.
'See' you all around cyberspace.

My quote this week is from me and it's not really a quote, it's kind of the way I'm going to treat things the next couple of weeks.
When the hurdles in my life are too tall to get over I'm improvising, I've bought my shovel, I'm going under the bloody things.

Rachel.C

1 comment:

  1. You've got a lot on your plate but I know you'll pull it off! Thanks for the entertainment this morning. Is it okay to be entertained by your stress?! You express it with so much wit!

    ReplyDelete